Wednesday, April 23, 2008

breakfast

it isn't exactly a "definining moment" in my national service. it was just breakfast with the sergeant major of the army. the brassard on my right arm was an invitation for him to sit with me in the humble newly renovated 5 SIR canteen.


it is nice to chat with people like him. people who are much more senior than u in terms of age and experience. people with real experience in life. unlike certain individuals who don't behave their age. i wasn't quite in the same wavelength as SMA in our random chat. i guess i havn't got the same repertoire of life experiences as him. he asked me what was the defining moment in my service. i had to mention "easy to mention" events like the grenade throwing and the gpmg range.


i didn't really want to start a long story of how i was enlisted in prc rather than bmtc and so on. that was really the defining moment of my national service. i miss my first 2 months of ns. we went on to talk about more "out of my range" matters like man management and in this case, soldier management. my future job and what i studied in school.


it was just a short casual chat but i got to learn so much from him. i hope i can speak with substance like SMA in the future, and not become some useless plain childish 33 year old underachieving slob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home